First Ride Report...
>> Tuesday, November 11, 2008
So - on my very first ride in a LONG time,I take a nasty spill and sprain my ankle! I haven't been able to ride much because of my back, but I figured I'd give it a shot again and join Ryan at Alafia for a meet-and-greet with some other SWAMP riders
I had told myself that I would only "brave" the easy trails. It had rained the night before, so the trails were nicely packed, but the roots were still pretty slick. I was doing quite well, and then my rear tire got hung up on a long root crossing the trail. Luckily, I wasn't going to fast, so it was a fairly soft fall. BUT, my I couldn't get my left foot clipped in time &f ell straight down with my ankle twisted underneath me, still connected to the bike. (Now I know how Ryan felt when he did the same thing!...although his actually broke, so I guess I shouldn't be complaining!)
After a week of soreness I went to the doctor to have it checked out & was just told it's a nasty sprain. I've been dilligently writing my ABCs and doing all kinds of stretching...but it probably doens't help that I've started wearing high-heels again to work!
This has slowed me down as far as training for the Alafia X-Country 1/2er, but I think I'll be fine by then...I have almost 2 weeks left, right?
All in all, I think I was pretty lucky. One of the guys Ryan was riding with took a really nasty fall and had to go to the hospital. He ended up with a broken collar bone, punctured lung, broken ribs, and lots of bruising. He's out of the hospital now but due to the broken collar bone he won't be able to ride for a while. I don't know if I'd ever want to ride again after that!
Hopefully I'll be back to normal soon...I miss riding & I would like to start trying some of the intermediate trails again. As long as I keep up on my PT for my back, and my ankle heals, I should be able to soemtime in December!
0 comments: