Ready or not, Disney here I come!

>> Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Disney Half Marathon is this coming Saturday - there's no turning back now. Truthfully, I'm feeling pretty good about race day. I've been averaging roughly 14:30 min miles for several weeks now, and that's not too bad for a walker if you ask me! My last long training session was on New Years Day in middle of the afternoon and I eeked out a total time of 2:23:45 for an average pace of 14:22, well under the 16:00 that's required by the race officials.

What happens if I don't keep the required 16:00 per mile pace? I will get "swept" off of the course - meaning I can't finish the race, will be bussed to the waiting area & won't get coveted Finishers Medal. This is a situation that I'm fully prepared for. I know it is very plausable that I won't maintain the needed pace for the full 13.1 miles - afterall, I'm forced to walk the entire time because of my ankle, and I probably didn't train as hard as I should have since finishing the Alafia 1/2er in November. Regardless, I'm trying to go into it with a positivie attitude telling myself that I WILL finish, and I will maintain at least an average pace of 16:00 per mile - It'll just be icing on the cake if I finish with a better average than that!

Even though it's only Tuesday, I'm barely able to contain my excitement for the race weekend. Ryan and I are taking Friday off in order to get over to Orlando early enough in the day to meet Mom, Ron & Jeanine when they arrive and then attend the Race Expo. After that, it's going to be race prep for Me, Tam & Megan since we need to be up & ready to go by about 3:00am for the 6:00am start! Once we're across the line, the 3 of us will have smooth sailing - we get to play in the parks on Saturday and Drink Around the World while Mom, Ron, Jeanine & Ryan are still prepping for the Full Marathon on Sunday. Then it's another day of fun in the parks after their race on Sunday - provided they can all walk after 26.2 miles!

So - wish me (and everyone else) luck - I'll be posting pictures of the festivities when we get back!

1 comments:

Unknown January 7, 2009 at 9:20 AM  

You'll get that kick ass medal, I know it!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP