Better Get Crackin!
>> Monday, April 27, 2009
Oh how time flies! In only 6 days I will be starting my first Marathon Training Program. Well, technically, I guess I should call it the "Mileage Buildup Program" for my first Marathon Training Program.
This mileage buildup program is 19 weeks long and goes directly into the 18 week marathon training program. The first several weeks averabe around 15 or 18 miles - then the real building starts and I'll top-out at 35 miles/week in week 18.
Where I'm struggling now is that these training program focus on only running - with no cross training. I've been taking Spin and Pilates classes at the YMCA on M/W mornings and I absolutely LOVE them! The instructor - Flo Entler - is the best. I'm just not sure how to mesh these classes in with the mileage buildup/marathon training.
I don't want to stop taking the Spin classes altogether, but I don't want to miss out on the mileage that I should be logging either. I know that I'll get burnt-out if my workouts only consist of running. (I'll admit - I don't even really like running - I just know it's one of the only workouts that I see any results from.) I need to find a good mix of the two - AND I'll need to keep myself motivated throughout the whole ordeal.
The month of March was quite hard for me. After Gasparilla I basically slacked off for a whole month. I ran a handfull of time but struggled with getting back into the groove after being forced to walk for so many months. When I did run, I struggled with my feet falling asleep after about .25 miles, so I had to stop and take my shoes off several times just so I didn't completely lose the feeling in my feet. I found this rather frustrating. I did also find a yoga class at the YMCA that I've taken a few times that really helps my back. It's amazing how good I feel after just one class, so I know if I stick with this one - even just once a week - I'll see results that will transfer over to my running very well!
On a positive note though, I could tell that all the spin classes really helped my cardio performance and I was able to run further than I anticipated - so this was encouraging. And this is why I want to keep the Spin classes in the mix!
April was pretty much more of the same,. I *think* I finally figured out what was causing my feet to fall asleep - inserts in my shoes, which have now been removed. I ran my first 2-miler last week with absolutey no tingling! I also continued to notice the benefits of spinning - my cardio was great, my legs felt stronger. I wanted to go longer than 2 miles but I didn't want to push it too much as it was my first run inseveral weeks. (Boy were my quads sore the next day too!)
All in all, I've realized that I really need to keep on top of my workout schedule or I'm never going to be ready for the Marathon in January. Seems as though everyone is right when they tell you that Marathon training consumes your life for almost a year.
I need to get committed - and stay committed - to my workout schedule, no matter how tired or unmotivated I may feel. It's just SO easy to stay in bed in the morning rather than get ready to drive to the gym at 5am, or get up and lace up my shoes. I'll need to really concentrate on getting to bed early - this is very hard for me - I've alwasy been a "night owl" and a late sleeper. Seems like I can never keep myself in the routine of daily workouts for more than 1 week at a time. But I know I need to break this habit and stay on track. Otherwise I'll end up with a poor performance come January at Disney!
I want to stick with my M/W morning Spin & Pilates classes - this way my workouts are done by 8am and I'm free for the rest of the day. I'd like to start running in the mornings - but I'm a bit hesitant to run in the dark all the time. I'm a big chicken. But I guess I can tuff it out for a few weeks/months until the sun rises earlier. If I run in the mornings, I can squeeze in a nice relaxing yoga class which I've found helps my back immensely!
Anyway, the "mix" of the two programs that I've come up with for this mileage buildup I'm about to start is:
Mon: Spin & Pilates
Tues: Run (& Yoga?)
Wed: Spin & Pilates
Thurs: Run (& Yoga?)
Fri: Rest
Sat: Long Run
Sun: Rest
This will give me 2 rest and 3 run days each week, AND allow me to keep taking my Spin & Pilates classes with Flo. The yoga classes will depend on whether I'm doing a morning or afternoon run as the classes are at 7am (not positive I want to do 7am yoga, and then a 6pm run...that would make for a LONG day...).
Anyway - hopefully this will work for now. I know I'll have to revisit the schedule when the Mileage Buildup program is over and I am in the full fledged Marathon Training program.
Til then, wish me luck...and give me any training suggestions you may have!
4 comments:
good luck!
This is awesome Theresa~ good luck and I guess I'll see you on some fridays and sundays along the way...
Hey Babe,
The program looks good. Just remember that you're going to have to take some unscheduled rest days. Rest is one of the most important parts of training!
Thanks babe! I know I'll end up taking unscheduled rest days as I go along...but better to build in only a couple per week, so when I do take unscheduled breaks I'm not taking a whole week off!
...and I've already realized I'm going to need to adjust the program...I forgot I'll be doing that Boot Camp class on Saturdays during May! But the first 5 weeks of the training program call for only 3 mile runs on Saturday, so I may just replace the Sat "long run" with Boot Camp til June!