The Dog Days of Training

>> Saturday, November 7, 2009

Hard to believe but we're already 1/2 way through our marathon training program! We have of course cheated a little bit with week day workouts, but overall we're on track! Haven't missed a long run yet, and am seeing a bit of progress as far as speed goes in my short runs. One thing that seems to be really helping me is "half commuting" with Ryan in the mornings. He rides his Bianchi to work as many days as he can each week, 12 miles one way. So in the mornings I get up and ride Red Beard (my Felt road bike) 1/2 way to work with him then turn around and ride back home so I can get ready for work. I would ride to my office but it's about 20 miles one way (staying in bike lanes) and I don't have access to a shower. I'm a bit high maintenance, AND it's hot here, so there's no chance I can skip that part! Anyway, the "half commute" is fun and it's nice to spend some time with Ryan in the mornings. Plus it allows me to get in an extra workout without having to tear up my legs by running too many days in a row.

The hardest part of this marathon training program so far was our 13 miler last week. We got a late start and that resulted in running at noon in heat that "felt like" 1pm and boy it was HOT! We all got sunburns and ran out of water by the end (and that's even AFTER a refill half way thru at Robinson Preserve). Was definitely the hardest run I've had in a long time. Honestly though, I sort of went into it with a poor attitude - I had been dreading it since the day before and would have much rather been on the couch watching TV than running in the hot FL sun. So I wasn't off to a good start right from the getgo. Once we were on the road, things felt OK until about 3 miles into the run. I was burning thru gels like it was nobody's business and kept getting shaky when they started to wear off. So I had to really watch my water intake and gel consumption. I think we're getting to the point now that we need to take more than gels with us on our long runs - maybe Clif bars or pretzels - definitely something with a bit of substance.

Luckily, after that horrible 13 miles was over we still felt a sense of accomplishment. Glad it was over, but proud that we didn't give up.

This week is a "step back" week with a 10 miler scheduled. That's lucky for me as I'm traveling to London for work and will not be able to fit in a long run. (I know, everyone says I should do it while I'm there, but my time is pretty much booked with meetings and honestly, I just don't feel very safe running around a strange city....let alone a COLD city!) Never fear though - I did bring running shoes and some running clothes in hopes of getting in a quick jog on a treadmill while I'm across the pond. Then it's right back on track with a 15 miler next Sunday!

Mentally, I'm still in a good place as far as confidence about finishing the race. I'm sure that if I continue to stay on track for the next 9 weeks (only 9 weeks left?!?) I will cross the finish line - maybe not in style, and maybe looking like death warmed over, but I WILL finish.

So here's to no injuries, lots of motivation and cool weather for the next 9 weeks!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP