What's a Gal to Do?

>> Sunday, December 13, 2009

As most of you know, I've been training for the Disney Marathon for the better part of 3 months now & I'm less than 30 days away from Race Day...but I've HIT THE WALL.  I've realized that I REALLY DON'T LIKE RUNNING LONG DISTANCES.  I've done several half marathons over the past few years and thought those were bad, but training for a marathon doesn't compare at all.  This has been harder mentally and physically than anything I've ever done.  


I think part of it is nutrition - I've been struggling with finding the right breakfast (peanut butter toast w/ a banana has been the best so far) and then the best nutrition/supplements to carry with me on long runs. I'm OK until about mile 8, then no matter how many gels I take in, how much Gatorade I drink or how many lifesavers I eat I just feel wiped out, weak and shaky.  

The other part is motivation - I just don't enjoy the distance.  I never thought I would say "Thank goodness today's run is only 10 miles", but I'm there.  I dread anything longer than that.  And as soon as I start to feel physically weak, my mind crumbles and I totally lose it.  Poor Ryan has been yelled at MANY times on long runs because I get so crabby!  

So now I'm beginning to wonder - Can I do this?  Can I really finish 26.2 miles?  I only have 26 days left to figure it out.  

Part of me wants to back out now and not even bother lacing up my shoes on January 10th.  But I know I would regret that come race day when everyone else is gallivanting around Disney with their Finisher's medals and I'm standing there with a bare neck.    

So now I have some soul searching to do.  Will it take away from the accomplishment if I need to walk several miles in order to get across the finish line?  Should I back out and cheer everyone else on?

What do YOU think I should do?  I've set up a poll on my blog...feel free to cast a vote! 

1 comments:

tamatha,  December 13, 2009 at 4:06 PM  

GO THE DISTANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP