Conquering Fears & New Beginnings

>> Monday, January 25, 2010

I did it.  Today I conquered my fear of the VIP Section.  I took Leslie's advice and caved in to the awesomeness of free weights again.  (And by "free weights" I mean teeny tiny dumbbells that weigh 12lbs or less.)  I decided to start with the Fitnessista's Winter Shape Up Week 1.  Here's what I learned:

  1. I look absolutely awful in my workout gear - thanks a lot full-length mirrors!  (Sorry to those of you that have to see me in the gym!)
  2. It feels good to be lifting real weights and using my own body as resistance.  Those circuit machines should be called Monotonous Circle of Death.  
  3. Jumping jacks are OK.  High knees suck.  
  4. My legs are stronger than I thought! 
  5. Those darn teenage boys and their girlfriends are still intimidating - so are the 40-something women that can lift bench twice their own body weight!  
  6. Strength training is going to help me become a better swimmer, rider and runner!  
AND - drum roll please - I signed up for Adult Swim Lessons!  Here's the proof:


Tomorrow (Tuesday) will be my first lesson.  It's a group class but the instructor told me there was only 1 attendee last week.  So, this could turn into an almost private lesson!  I met the instructor on Sunday during my swim and he's already given me some good tips - I can actually swim with my FACE IN THE WATER and breathe at the right time without drowning myself!  

That's all the news I've got for now.  Tomorrow brings a Half Commute with Diggity in the morning and the aforementioned swim lesson after work.  

Wish me luck!   

2 comments:

Kris | iheartwellness.com January 26, 2010 at 2:36 AM  

Congrats on the swimming lessons! Swimming is an amazing workout and I really think you are going to love it.

I cant wait to read more!

XXOO

ActiveEggplant January 26, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Thanks Kris - I'm excited for and nervous about tonight's lesson at the same time. I'll certainly let everyone know how it goes!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP