Swim Easy
>> Tuesday, January 26, 2010
First things first: I am SORE from yesterday's workout! I feel like I got hit by school bus! If only it was a cute little happy bus rather than a big mean nasty bus. (It's a good feeling though, honestly)
(source 1 & 2)
I was already a bit sore when I woke up this morning but tuffed it out and did my Half Commute with Diggity. We rode faster than usual (mostly due to the fact that we left the house late...because I woke up late...but I digress...) and I completed the 12.38 mile round trip in 50 minutes for an average speed of just over 14mph - we normally average about 12mph for an easy morning ride. I was quite happy with this time, but my quads weren't quite so thrilled...and they're still not.
My 7:30 swim lesson came quickly after a REALLY hectic day at work. I was nervous but excited at the same time. My suspicions were correct - I was the only person in the class! I got some more great tips from the instructor and in the end was able to complete several laps in a row!
The biggest lesson I learned tonight was SWIM EASY. Here's why I need to remember this:
- Swimming is intense. A totally different kind of cardio workout than I'm used to.
- If I try to swim too fast, I'll be gasping for air - and will probably snort and/or swallow more pool water than I care to.
- I'm still learning & need to focus on EVERYTHING all the time right now. Swimming too fast causes me to lose my focus and basically sink to the bottom of the pool.
- I've got lots of endurance to build! It's going to take a LONG time to get to the point where I can swim 36 lengths of the pool, so why overdo it now?


0 comments: